On Monday, the 20th (also Aunt Carol's birthday!) I went to the doctor for my 2-month-old check up. This also means I had to start getting my immunization shots. Mommy tried to warn me about these, but I don't think she knows I can't understand what she is saying yet. I was sure surprised at the shots, and I did not like them!
But first I got weighed and measured. I am now 23.5 inches long and weigh 11 lbs 7 oz. My head circumference is also 15.25, which is guess is pretty small for my age. This all means I have grown 4 inches and gained 5 pounds since I was born! I am around the 75th percentile for length, but between 25 and 50th percentile for weight. I am tall and lean, just like Daddy! Did you know that if I stayed at this rate of growth I'd be about 6 feet tall and weigh 72 pounds when I was 2 years and 2 months old? Wouldn't that be a funny sight?!
After all the fun of being weighed and measured and being declared perfect by the doctor came the not fun part--the shots. I was awake and happy for the entire visit, and at this time I was lying on the bed with Mommy holding my hands and talking to me. Everything seemed just fine so I smiled and cooed back to her. Then the nurse gave me some funny tasting liquid, I guess it was the first immunization. I ate that just fine and was still happy. Suddenly there was a sharp pain in my leg--I jumped and got scared, turned bright red, and then I started to cry. There may have even been a bit of screaming in there too. I looked at Mommy, trying to figure out what was happening and why, then there was another sharp pain in the same let, and one more in the other leg. Yep, I had to get 3 shots. I was not a happy camper, but I started to feel better once Mommy could pick me up and soothe me.
The doctor told Mommy she should put me on some Children's Tylenol for the next 24 hours, and Mommy and Daddy figured out why. I was okay when I got home, and I slept a bit just fine. But a couple hours after the visit I woke up and was very, very fussy. Luckily Aunt Melanie had some medicine and Daddy went and got it for me. It was my first taste of medicine, and it really helped me calm down. I stayed on that through the night, and by the next day I was feeling much better. But I have decided that shots are not fun.
No comments:
Post a Comment