Growing is what babies do best. In a way, it makes me sad to see my kids growing up, knowing these baby days will be gone all too soon. But at the same time, I so look forward to seeing the people they become. To having the house full of rowdy, crazy, fun, sweet, energetic pre-teens, teens, and beyond. No matter what stage we are in, life is good, and I am truly blessed.
Four-year-old Eli is not a baby anymore. He is very much a boy now. He looks like a boy, talks like a boy, and acts like a boy. And just recently has discovered girls. Yikes! He's got his first crush ever, Gracie, and followed it quickly with his second crush. His first crush is on a girl in our neighborhood and in his Sunbeam class, although he never noticed her until they did swim lessons together (because she was nice and she played "fishes" with him one day). Now she's mentioned in our house quite frequently. His second crush is Izzy from the Disney show Jake and the Neverland Pirates. He is quite taken by Izzy. It's so funny to hear him talk about these girls. He is just realizing girls are different than boys, and he seems to think they are funny and pretty. I think having a baby sister whom he absolutely adores has something to do with it too. Girls are cool. According to Eli boys like cool things. Not pretty things. Not cute things. Cool things. Girls like cute and pretty things. Girls are cute and pretty. But girls can be cool to, and that's why boys can like them. Got it?
Beyond girls, which I think is going to be Eli's focus for the next 20 years or until he gets married (Although he told me last night he's not ever getting married. This was in reference to a conversation about a different girl in his Sunbeam class who thinks she's going to marry him. He said, "I'm not getting married. I'm just a boy. I don't like married people.") Eli is a fun and sweet boy. He did swim lesson, private lessons at a neighbor's house this time, and he is swimming like a fish now! His love of cars is, somehow, ever stronger than it was before. He still loves everything about them and that is what he plays with all day. I try to get him to do crafts or read or do other things. If it doesn't involve playing cars (or watching Jake and the Neverland Pirates) he's not interested. When we're in the car, he tells me all about the cars he sees. "Oh, mom! Did you see that nice white BMW? It had really shiny wheels!" "Hey mom, look there's a Porsche!" (And he pronounces it 'por-sha' not 'porsh'.) One day he even gave me detailed instructions on how to drift. And I think he was pretty accurate on what to do!
Eli loves his family and loves being with us. He's coming out of his shell more, but is still shy in public or outside of our home. He always wants me to go with him to b-day parties or even to his Sunbeam class (but I don't, sorry kid!). He is also very aware of other people's feelings, especially his own family. He can tell when I'm having a bad day, or when Isaac gets in trouble, or when Daddy gets in trouble, and he immediately says, "Hey ____ (mommy, daddy, Isaac). Do you know I love you?" He is so kind and just wants us to feel better.
No comments:
Post a Comment