Do you ever have days that just seem hard? It's not like anything incredibly difficult is happening, but there are days where the smallest things just seem to be horrible and upsetting. That's been my week. Now, I'll be the first to admit I'm throwing myself a bit of a pity party here. Which is, of course, the main reason life has felt so overwhelming lately.
Yesterday Eli and I had doctor's appointments. Eli was actually really good for my appointment, which I was really grateful for. Unfortunately I had a miscarriage about a month ago and am still being monitored for that. I had some blood drawn yesterday and it always makes me nervous when Eli is sitting on my lap while I have a needle in my arm. Thankfully the few times he's come with me lately to do this he's been really good. Awesome. But then we went to his appointment.
The poor boy was insistent that he did not want a nap yesterday, so by the time we got to the doctor's that afternoon he was SO tired. He was annoyed with the nurse and doctor as they pocked and prodded him. When he's tired he wants to be left alone and just wants to run around and play. Well, the doctor's office is dirty, and Eli was only in his diaper, so this mommy was not letting him run around on the floor in there. While we were waiting for the nurse to come back to give him his shot Eli got fed up. I tried to entertain him with books and his favorite car, but he just wanted down. And he was very vocal about it. There was weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Literally. I think Eli's reached his Terrible Twos because he's suddenly been into throwing fits. These consist of screaming, hitting, kicking, head butting (which I've received a few fat lips from), and worst of all, biting. My shoulder takes the brunt of that one. The nurse took FOR-EV-ER to come back--usually they're pretty quick about it. I'm sure she didn't want to deal with the screaming kid, but I was so embarrassed and exhausted. The shot was going to make him cry anyway, I just wanted to be able to take him home. Elijah FINALLY calmed down, and then it still took forever for the nurse to come in and give him his shot. Of course, Eli fell asleep as soon as we got in the car. Awesome.
That mixed with a long weekend of me feeling crappy about everything and Eli working hard to throw unnecessary fits just wore me out. Not to mention yesterday alone he got 2 new bruises on his face from throwing fits. Awesome.
I had a play date planned today and thought that was going to be perfect. Eli would get out of the house and get to go play in water, which he LOVES. I would get a break from a fussy boy and enjoy being out of the house as well. Awesome.
Eli threw a fit as we were getting ready to leave. He freaks out whenever he thinks I'm leaving--separation anxiety to the max! It's sweet, but also frustrating. We made it out the door about 10 minutes late, get to the splash pad, have a wonderful time, and then I realize that Eli smells bad. This is a boy that usually does not poop in public, but he made an exception this time. I learned today that swim diapers don't hold anything in. Wet swimming trunks seem to be extra clingy and difficult to get off when your boy is covered in pooh, and I should travel with a water hose just for these kinds of emergencies. I scrubbed the dirty boy down as well as I could in a public bathroom, wrapped him in a diaper and towel, and headed for home. So much for a day of friends and shopping. Awesome.
I know, this story is getting really long, but it's almost over.
I got Eli scrubbed up at home, nice and clean. He was pretty ready for a nap so I laid him down and started some laundry becuase I suddenly had a bunch of *soiled* clothes. I appreciated the quite in the house and got online to do some work. Eli took a good nap, not a long one like I was hoping, but I was glad he was up and ready to play with my hopefully happy, well-rested, and CLEAN boy. Wrong. I got him out of bed and realized his shorts were soaked, his bed was soaked, even his favorite little Pooh Bear was all wet. Eli's diapers NEVER leak. I mean, I haven't had a problem like this since he was maybe 2 months old. And somehow he managed to pee all over his bed. Awesome.
Another load of laundry later, we're officially exhausted but alive. I can't do anything but laugh now. I know this isn't a horrible set of days, but when you're already emotionally and physically exhausted it sure seems like the worst thing ever. Oh well, here's hoping for a happy and clean tomorrow!
I don't know about you but some days the beach looks really really good...an adult only (clothing on) beach.
ReplyDelete