Thursday, May 20, 2010

Eli-isms

Elijah had his 15 month check-up on Monday of this week. He is now 32 1/4 (90th percentile) inches tall and weighs a slight 20lbs 12 oz (5th percentile). I swear he doesn't look as skinny as the charts say--we just think he looks adorable. And maybe more proportioned like an adult than most kids, but that's what makes him adorable. His head size is starting to average out now, it's right at 50th percentile. Of course, a half-inch here or a few ounces there and the percentiles change, so I don't put much stock in them. But it's pretty funny to see where he does land on the charts. The doctor tracks his progress on the charts and it shows his weight getting lower and lower and his height getting higher and higher. I promise the kid eats! Sometimes I think he eats more than I do, and he loves milk, too. But he also spends all day running around, which I think is why he's such a good little napper and sleeper. Overall he is a healthy, happy, hunky little boy.

Because it's been a while, I just wanted to post some of the fun things Eli's been doing or saying lately.

Singing: he loves music and loves to sing; whether it's to RockBand, to the radio, or at church, he is happy to sing along.

Communicating: he is starting to say more words, and is especially good at repeating what we say, when he's in the mood for it. But Eli has also mastered the art of body language (does anyone else channel Ursala the Sea Witch?). He can point at a lot of things, goes to his chair when he's hungry, and opens the fridge and talks to it when he wants his milk. His favorites, though, are the big box of baking chocolate and the cookie jar. He knows where they are, goes up to the counter, points to them, says a few (incoherent) words, and makes the cutest little begging face I've ever seen. I really don't know how this boy is not a sumo-baby!

Eating: Eli is just working on getting his molars in, but the kid can eat pretty much anything. He loves hard crunchy things, like nuts, Triscuits, and apples. I have no idea how he eats these things, but he finds a way.


Talking on the phone: he'll pick up a phone, or something that looks like a phone, put it up to his hear, and say "Hi!". Whenever I'm using my phone he says Dada because he thinks I'm talking to Mike, which I usually am.

Doggie: is officially his favorite word. He uses it for pretty much anything. Eli LOVES animals, and whenever he sees on he shouts Doggie! It can be on TV, outside, in a book, it doesnt' matter, he'll spot any animal any time. It's adorable.

Walking: Eli loves to put on our flip flops and try to walk in them. He usually does it with mine becuase they are smaller and he can walk in them better. Again, adorable!


Pooh Bear: he now has a "lovey." It's a little blue pooh bear blanket toy and Eli is absolutely attached to it. This just started a couple months ago, but he loves the thing. He usually calls it "doggie" (just like everything else) and he'll snuggle it next to his face and put his thumb in his mouth. He will grow out of these things later...right...? Oh well, it's cute for now.


Food storage: he found the food storage in our spare bedroom a few months ago. The things at his level are water bottles and jars of marinara and salsa. One day he brought me 7 water bottle in a row, hoping I'd open one for him. In this picture we were getting ready to go to the mall (and the splash pad, hence his funny outfit) and this is what Eli did in the 2 seconds it took us to gather some things. Thank goodness he didn't drop one!


Other things Eli does:
He can point to most of his main body parts, and especially likes smelling his stinky toes. Strange...I know.
He knows what "Prayer time" means and folds his arms. He's even gotten used to saying prayers before meals so he folds his arms off and on during the meal. Of course, he also talks during the prayer, or pokes our faces because our eyes our closed, but it's a start.
He loves to help me take out the trash. As soon as I pull the bag out of the can he'll run to the door to help me take it outside. Really it's just another excuse for him to be outside, but one day it'll be his job! Then he'll be sorry he had such enthusiasm for it now. Mwahahahah! :)
He loves, loves, loves to get chased. If he has something we need, or something he's not supposed to get into, he'll look at us and stomp his feet until we start to chase him, and we always chase him. You can't say no to his adorable face. Trust me, I've tried.
He always brings me flowers when we are outside. These are flowers he's lovingly picked off our plants in the yard, but he is sure to bring them to me so I can smell them. Occasionally he brings them to me in his mouth with a "Mommy I'm eating something disgusting!" look on his face. Silly boy!

I'm sure there are a million more adorable things that he does, I just can't list them all.

No comments:

Post a Comment